Tuesday evenings at 8pm are a special time of escapism, where the only concerns are if someone’s cake will collapse or be sent tumbling to the floor.
The Great British Bake Off has been a fan favourite for a long time now and it’s taken on new importance in 2020, as we all have to stay indoors due to COVID.
Watching a gentle programme about cakes, with the humour of Noel Fielding and Matt Lucas and the stern appraisals of Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood has become a highlight of the week for many.
Here are some of the best bits so far from 2020’s batch of bakers and the series so far.
1) This touching quote.
2) We all learned a new word we wish we hadn’t.
3) Matt’s impression of Prue.
4) When Marc had a little accident with the buttermilk.
5) It wouldn’t be Bake Off without an innuendo.
6) Rowan’s vivid descriptions of his bagels.
7) When it was revealed that Marc’s daughters were living in the bubble with them.
8) So thoughtful, Prue.
9) Rowan’s sheer love of tea
10) When Lottie got a Paul Hollywood handshake.
11) The first cake catastrophe.
12) Matt Lucas made quite the first impression.
13) This INCREDIBLE Freddie Mercury likeness.
14) The many faces of Lottie saying what we’re all feeling about 2020.
15) When everyone’s brownies went wrong.
Who’s your favourite baker so far?
Images via Alamy