The controversial social media app Parler has been removed from the internet following violence in the US.
Amazon previously provided the online tools needed to run the app. They told Parler that would no longer be receiving their support from local pacific time on Sunday. When that time passed, the site and the accompanying app went offline.
Parler had previously been touted as a “free speech” social network. It was popular amongst supporters of Donald Trump, although he is not believed to be a user.
Parler claims to be “an unbiased social media focused on real user experiences and engagement” with “free expression without violence and no censorship”.
Amazon told Parler it had seen “a steady increase in this violent content on your website, all of which violates our terms”. Amazon Web Services sent a letter detailing instances of such content. It is said they made it clear it believes “Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service”.
Parler Speaks Out
Mr Matze said to Fox News that “every vendor from text message services to email providers to our lawyers all ditched us too.”
The app had already been removed from app stores, including Apple and Google. Google was the first to ban, last Friday. They were followed by Apple which had reportedly given Parler 24 hours to fix moderation issues or face a ban. As this wasn’t done, the ban took place.
The Apple ban may not be permanent though. If moderation issues are fixed, Apple say they may restore.
12 million people subscribed to the app before it was shut down, according to Parler. To compare, Donald Trump had almost 90 million followers on Twitter before his account was shut down.
President Donald Trump was banned from Twitter last Friday. There had been rumours he could move over to Parler, as his sons Eric and Don Jr were active on the site.
Following his ban, Donald Trump has accused Twitter of “banning free speech” in a tweet from the POTUS account. Twitter permanently suspended the president’s @realDonaldTrump account and removed all of his tweets.
Trump has also been banned from Facebook and Instagram.
His son, Donald Trump Jnr, posted a video on Facebook attacking the decision.
“So if you guys haven’t noticed yet, Twitter permanently banned my father from its platform, so to speak, you know, it’s not a platform they can pretend it’s an open platform but obviously it’s not. I guess, someone told me, because he wasn’t gonna attend Joe Biden’s inauguration. I’m not sure what’s offensive about that but I guess they were just looking for any excuse.”
Twitter says ban was because of two the president’s tweets posted on Friday. Twitter said they violated its glorification of violence policy.
The first tweet was: “The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”
The second tweet was: “To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th”.
Twitter said the two offending messages “were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the US Capitol”.