Girl Dies In Her Sleep As Charging Phone Blows Up On The Pillow Next To Her Head

Alfie PowellAlfie Powell in News, World
Published 01.10.19

A 14-year-old schoolgirl has been killed after her smartphone reportedly blew up while being charged as she slept.

Tragic news today, as a young girl has lost her life due to a fault in the hardware of her phone. As reports have it, she died as a result of her phone blowing up on the pillow next to her head.

It’s a horrifying story as most people sleep with their phone charging on their bedside table – I certainly do – and it’s an utterly avoidable disaster.


Alua Asetkyzy Abzalbek is the young lady in question, who is said to have gone to bed while listening to music on her phone, which was charging at the time.

Alua Asetkyzy Abzalbek

She was sadly found dead the next morning in her home in Bastobe, Kazakhstan. Police confirmed that her phone was plugged into the mains as the battery is believed to have exploded.


Paramedics tried to resuscitate Abzalbek but sadly her injuries were too great. It is reported that she died from injuries sustained to her head, with forensics specialists revealing that the battery exploded in the early hours of the morning due to overheating.

girl killed when charging phone blows up

As of yet, the brand of the phone and the charger have not been released.


Alua’s best friend, 15-year-old Ayazhan Dolasheva, posted on social network, sharing her disbelief and heartbreak, writing:

You were the best. We have been together since childhood. It is so hard for me without you. I miss you so much. You have left me forever.”


it’s a tragic story and one that I can’t even imagine the repercussions of for Alua’s friends and family, but hopefully it will go some way to educating the rest of us, making sure that nothing like this happens again when it’s completely avoidable.

Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Alua Asetkyzy Abzalbek. Rest in peace.

Images via East2West