Glastonbury Festival Postponed Due To Coronavirus

The HookThe Hook in Entertainment, Music
Published 18.03.20

Glastonbury festival, which was due to celebrate its 50th anniversary year in 2020 with headliners including Taylor Swift, Paul McCartney and Kendrick Lamar, has been postponed as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The festival confirmed via Twitter and Instagram  that the event, which was set to take place from 24th-28th June at its usual home of Worthy Farm in Somerset, had been rescheduled to take place in 2021.

Organisers Michael and Emily Eavis said:

“Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week – and in times of such unprecedent uncertainty – this is now our only viable option.”

The statement continued: “The cancellation of this year’s festival will not doubt come as a terrible blow to our incredible crew and volunteers who work so hard to make this event happen. There will also inevitably be severe financial implications as a result of this cancellation – not just for us, but also the festival’s charity partners, suppliers, traders, local landowners and our community.”

More than 250,000 festival-goers were due to descend on the famous farm, with information about refunds set to be released in due course.

The Eaves’ sent apologies to the 135,000 people who have already paid deposits for tickets for the event and have said people can ‘roll their £50 deposit to next year, and guarantee the opportunity to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2021’.

Anyone who would prefer a refund should get in touch with See Tickets in the coming days who will be arrange that.

The cancellation is already being described as a “terrible blow to our incredible crew and volunteers”.

On Thursday 12 March the festival announced an additional 90 acts – including Pet Shop Boys, Dua Lipa and Noel Gallagher.

More to follow.

Comments