This will be the first televised interview the couple have given since they stepped away from royal duties.

The news comes after the couple announced that they were expecting a second child.

Harry and Meghan were married in 2018 at Windsor Castle. An estimated 1.9 billion people tuned in to the service, and the world was hugely invested in their royal relationship.

However, the pair announced that they would be stepping down from royal duties earlier last year. Until now, the couple’s explicit reasons for this have not been revealed.

A spokesperson for the couple said that the step down would mean they would stop representing the Queen. It also meant the couple would become financially independent.

Following this, they moved to America with their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, and have attempted to lead a relatively private life.

Harry and Meghan have since had a difficult relationship with the press. This has lead to legal cases being opened against numerous newspapers.

Just last week, it was reported that Meghan won a privacy claim against Associated Newspapers. The Mail on Sunday had released extracts of a private letter from Meghan to her father.

Meghan was subsequently grateful that the paper was  “held to account for their illegal and dehumanising practices”.

Now, it has been announced that the couple will be featuring in a two-part primetime special with Oprah Winfrey on CBS. The interview will be aired on 7 march.

The interview comes nearly one year after the pair stepped down from Royal Duties.

According to CBS, “Winfrey will speak with Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, in a wide-ranging interview.”

CBS went on to say that the interview will cover “everything from stepping into life as a royal, marriage, motherhood, philanthropic work to how she is handling life under intense public pressure.

“Later, the two are joined by Prince Harry as they speak about their move to the United States and their future hopes and dreams for their expanding family.”

It is unclear whether Harry and Meghan told the Royal Household about their plans for the interview.

Given the fact that they have stepped down as working royals, however, any media commitments are their decision and their decision alone.

They do not have any obligation to inform Buckingham Palace about any decisions regarding personal interviews.

Responses To Interview Announcement

Of course, Piers Morgan had something to say about the news.

He tweeted: “The Duke & Duchess of Privacy have given an exclusive ‘wide-ranging’ prime-time interview about their private lives to Oprah Winfrey for a 90-minute special airing on CBS on March 7.

“This is beyond parody, but true.”

Speaking about the upcoming interview, Robert Jobson – a royal author – has said the interview is a ‘betrayal of trust’.

He said: “Just after smoothing over the cracks caused by ”Megxit’ – just over a year ago – the Sussexes seem hell bent on causing the Queen more discomfort and possible embarrassment.’

“This interview is a betrayal of trust whatever way you look at it. Harry, who claimed he wanted to escape the publicity of being a front-line royal, has swapped duty for a cash bonanza deal with Netflix. We are not told if money has been paid for this interview.

He continued: “To be blunt, his decision to join his wife’s tell all US television interview after they exited the royal family so noisily and dramatically, is another act of disrespect.

“The Queen has always lived by the mantra of ”never complain and never explain”. With her husband’s 100th birthday celebrations approaching the Harry and Meghan loose cannon continues to fire.”

Image via Alamy