Johnny Depp’s lawyers claimed to have “fresh evidence” that Amber Heard did not donate her divorce settlement money to charity in a hearing last week.
Pirates of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp has been refused permission to appeal a High Court ruling that he assaulted his ex-wife Amber Heard and made her fear for her life.
Following the high-profile trial last November against Ms Heard and The Sun‘s newspaper group, NGN, Mr Depp requested to appeal the damning decision this March.
His lawyers argued that he did not receive a fair trial and that they had “fresh evidence” that Ms Heard had not donated her $7million settlement money to charity, as she had promised.
In the hearing last Thursday, Mr Depp’s lawyers said that this new evidence “demonstrates that Ms Heard was a dishonest witness.”
Mr Justice Nicol, who was presiding over the case last year, had previously stated: “Her [Heard’s] donation of the $7m to charity is hardly the act one would expect of a gold-digger.”
The Court of Appeal’s decision
However, today the Court of Appeal judges refused Mr Depp’s appeal application, stating that the original hearing was “full and fair” and that Mr Justice Nicol “gave thorough reasons for his conclusions which have not been shown even arguably to be vitiated by any error of approach or mistake of law”.
Addressing the claims about Ms Heard’s settlement money, the judges said it was unlikely the trial judge “gave any weight to general considerations about her character of the kind suggested” by Mr Depp’s lawyers.
The judgement also added: “Nor… do we believe that the judge would have reached a different conclusion if it had been established before him that Ms Heard had given a misleading impression about how much of the $7m which she said that she had donated to charity had in fact been paid.”
The Sun‘s response
Following the ruling, a spokeswoman for the paper said: “The Sun had every confidence that this leave to appeal application would not be granted and are pleased with today’s decision.
“The case had a full, fair and proper hearing, and today’s decision vindicates the courageous evidence that Amber Heard gave to the court about domestic abuse, despite repeated attempts to undermine and silence her by the perpetrator.
“The Sun will continue to stand up and campaign for victims of domestic abuse.”
Following the court’s decision last year, Mr Depp’s solicitor Jenny Afia hit out at the ruling, saying it was “as perverse as it is bewildering”, adding, “The judgment is so flawed that it would be ridiculous for Mr Depp not to appeal this decision.”
Mr Depp also revealed just days after the ruling that he had been asked by Warner Brothers to resign from his role in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.
Washington Post libel trial
The 57-year-old is also involved in a separate libel battle against the Washington Post, regarding a 2018 onion piece by Ms Heard, in which she wrote about domestic abuse. She did not, however, name her ex-husband in the piece.
The hearing was due to take place in May, but has now been pushed back to April 2022.
Image via Alamy