Kiss From A Rose Lyrics Meaning - Song By Seal
Fans of "Kiss from a Rose" know full well that the Kiss from a Rose lyrics meaningis dense with symbolism and not simple to comprehend. Therefore, the generally acknowledged meanings of this song are diverse and often disconnected.
The fact that Seal, the song's creator, has been coy about its origins is a contributing factor. He has never clarified the lyrics beyond saying vaguely that they are about "some kind of romance."
Quite the opposite, he ignored "Kiss from a Rose" for a long time. This could be because he penned it before he became famous when life was tough for him financially and he was living in London.
As a result, he invites the listener to find his or her own meaning in the song. He thinks the listener's interpretation of the lyrics is more crucial than his own intentions when writing the song.
People have little doubt that Seal's relationship served as inspiration for this song, given the depth with which the lyrics explore the subject. Whoever he was with at the time he created this song must have meant the world to him.
To what end do we make such a statement? The lyrics are profound and overwhelming, demonstrating how important this individual was to him.
When Seal says things like, "I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray," what exactly does he mean?
Roses, as is common knowledge, thrive in hotter environments. A sighting on the gray (winter/snow/frozen wilderness) would consequently be extremely unusual. In this case, it seems that Seal is equating his beloved with a rare gray-blooming rose and its unique capacity to kiss. That's how incredibly unique she is in his eyes.
Seal - Kiss From A Rose | Lyrics Meaning
- This song was written entirely by Seal. He first started working on this song back in 1987, and it wasn't released until July 1994.
- The song "Kiss from a Rose" was created by Richard Lowe and Trevor Horn, two record producers.
- Seal's second studio album, also titled Seal, featured this timeless tune (Seal II). In addition, you can find it on his 2004 greatest hits album, Best 1991-2004.
- When asked about the song's cryptic lyrics, Seal said that "some kind of relationship" served as the source of inspiration.
- The song "Kiss from a Rose" has been featured in several films and television shows. Specifically, it was used in the closing credits of the 1995 film Batman Forever. This song was included on the 2015 film Vacation.
- William Levin and Matthew Rolston directed the original musicvideo for the song. The music video for this song was recut by Joel Schumacher.
- A Kiss from a Rose won the award for Best Video from a Film at the 1995 MTV Movie Awards.
- Parts of this song were sampled by American artist Chris Brown for his 2017 song "Nowhere." An excerpt from the classic was used in the 2016 song "Auditions" by the cast of Sing.
- The song became Platinum in both Australia and the United Kingdom. In the United States, Norway, and France, it was awarded the highest possible rating: Gold.
- At the 2017 SiriusXM Soundcheck, Seal sang "Kiss from a Rose" live in the studio.
The song topped the charts all around the world. Throughout 1995, it topped the charts everywhere from Australia to the United States, including the Billboard Hot 100, Adult Contemporary, Adult Top 40, and Mainstream Top 40. In Canada, it peaked at #2 and in the UK, it peaked at #4 on the Singles chart.
Below is Kiss from a Rose lyrics meaning:
She "become" the light of his lonely lighthouse in the middle of the sea (him) (implying he is the dark shadow of the lighthouse itself).
As he freely confesses, the "light" is his "love" and "high" for him.
The light (her) on the lighthouse makes the lighthouse (him) visible when it's snowing.
A "rose on the gray" is a statement of striking contrast. The color rose connotes a lively and vivacious red. Gray is boring and uninteresting.
In "Rose on Grey": She brings color and joy into an otherwise drab existence/ She brings color and joy into an otherwise drab existence.
This reeks of the pathological pursuit of perfection, or of something extremely weirdor inappropriate. It could be a case of racial prejudice, but it could also be an instance of forbidden love analogous to taboo forms of sexuality like necrophilia or incest. It's not done here to compare "grey" (him) and "rose" (her). When did a gray lighthouse get a red rose?
Despite the fact that he is an old and dull guy, her presence and the possibility of procreation brighten his day like a blooming rose. But can two people who seem so different ever live happily ever after?
"My Power, My Pleasure, My Pain!"These three lyrics are the most powerful in the entire song, and he is singing them at the top of his lungs so that everyone can hear him. This is the song's entire meaning, its fundamental message.
The source of all his strength, joy, and pain, she is the focal point of his existence. It's an unhealthy obsession laced with pleasure and anguish, strength and weakness, and other unpleasant emotions. He's hooked on the contrasting feelings he has for her (in the next verse).
At long last, he owns up to his dependence on the forbidden, compulsive love this rose has cast upon him.…
The song's lyrics use figurative language to convey a variety of ideas. You can figure out what the music means to you after you start translating the metaphors (Light, Grey, Rose) into their various symbolic meanings.
Pain = Love (Masochistic Love)
When we've been desperately in love with someone we can't have, we can all connect to this song. Because of this, we keep playing the song over and over. The sound soothes the listener. This behavior borders on masochism as well. Masochistic love is the overarching theme of this song.
Seal sang Kiss from a Rose originally.
A sheep sang Kiss from a Rose in Sing animated movie.
Kiss from a Rose song was in "Batman Forever".
One of the most enigmatic songs ever composed, "Kiss From A Rose" has inspired a great deal of conjecture about its meaning. Some listeners interpret Kiss from a Rose lyrics meaning as a drug-related ode to love, while others perceive it as a spiritual quest. Seal has never revealed the song's meaning, saying only that it was inspired by "some kind of relationship."