Meghan Markle is demanding a front-page apology from the Mail On Sunday.

She is also seeking a high court order that would force the paper to hand over any copies it has made of the letter that was at the centre of her privacy case.

They would also need to destroy any copies of it or notes made about it.

Markle has also been granted an interim £450,000 downpayment towards her £1.5m legal costs.

It follows on from her victory last month against Associated Newspapers Ltd. They are the publisher of the Mail on Sunday and Mail Online.

Meghan took them to court after the paper published extracts from a private handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle. Meghan sent the letter in August 2018.

She had originally asked for a downpayment of £750,000. She sued Associated Newspapers Ltd over five articles that the paper published in February 2019.

Lord Justice Warby refused permission for ANL to appeal against his judgment.

The publishers could still go directly to the court of appeal to seek permission.

On Tuesday, ANL argued that Meghan’s “extremely large costs bill” of about £1.5m was excessive.

“Unlawful”

However, the court disagreed and said that full costs will be decided at future hearings in the case.

Meghan’s representative, Ian Mill QC, argued that ANL had “failed to deliver up copies it has of the letter such that the threat to infringe and further misuse her private information remains real and, inexplicably, the defendant has still not removed the infringing articles from Mail Online”.

“Accordingly, at the time of writing, the defendant defiantly continues to do the very acts which the court has held are unlawful.”

They are seeking a front-page apology as well as one on Mail Online in order “to act as a deterrent to future infringers”.

The court will decide at a later date whether the front-page apology will be required.

“Nominal Award”

Meghan is willing to cap her damages to a “nominal award”  for misuse of private information to save time and cost, the court heard. It would mean a token sum could be awarded for damages.

Markle requested ANL to pay £750,000 within two weeks as “an interim payment on account” to cover legal costs.

Antony White QC representing ANL argues that his client “would have a real prospect of success” at appeal.

ANL have said they will take down the articles pending any appeal.

The publisher says the apology Meghan is requesting for the front-page is not accurate.

ANL claims her requested statement incorrectly says she had won her whole claim rather than parts of her claim, with other parts still to be determined.

Last month,  the judge ruled that the publication of Meghan’s letter to her father was “manifestly excessive and hence unlawful”.

He said: “It was, in short, a personal and private letter” and these were “inherently private and personal matters”.

Oprah Interview

It’s been revealed that ITV has won the bidding war for Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Clips from the chat were released earlier this week, and it’s said to be an open and candid interview. It’s understood the channel has signed a £1million mega-deal to secure the rights to the chat.

The interview will screen on ITV at 8pm on Monday March 8 – less than 24 hours after it debuts in America.

Will you be watching it?

Image via Alamy