Prince William has welcomed news of an independent inquiry into the famous TV interview with his mother, Princess Diana.

Diana’s brother has levelled allegations at the BBC’s Martin Bashir, claiming he used forged bank statements to convince Diana to do the landmark interview.

The BBC has sworn to “get to the truth” about the Panorama interview.

A statement from Kensington Palace said Prince William “tentatively welcomed the investigation”.

The Duke Of Cambridge added: “The independent investigation is a step in the right direction. It should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time.”

The BBC announced on Wednesday that Lord Dyson had been appointed to lead the inquiry. He is one of the country’s most senior retired judges.

Tim Davie, the BBC’s director general, said: “The BBC is determined to get to the truth about these events and that is why we have commissioned an independent investigation. Lord Dyson is an eminent and highly respected figure who will lead a thorough process.”

Earl Spencer, Diana’s brother, is behind calls for the independent inquiry, claiming “sheer dishonesty” resulted in the princess agreeing to the interviews.

In a letter to Tim Davie, published by the Daily Mail, Earl Spencer referred to forged bank statements he said had been shown by Martin Bashir.

The statements, he says, falsely showed that two senior courtiers were being paid for information about Diana by security services.

Spencer said:”If it were not for me seeing these statements, I would not have introduced Bashir to my sister.”

The interview 25 years ago was shocking, and almost 23 million people tuned in to watch.

Princess Diana made the now-famous remark of “there were three of us in this marriage”, referring to the Prince of Wales’s and Camilla Parker-Bowles.

Are they right to investigate?

Images via Alamy