Stormzy Blasts Festival For “Racial Profiling” Before Cancelling Headline Set

Stay in the loop. We've got you covered
We'll soon be launching our easy-to-digest daily roundup of everything you need to know.
Your email address will be shared with The Hook and subject to its privacy policy.

In a shocking and somewhat surprising turn of events, Stormzy has pulled out of Snowbombing festival after accusing organisers of “racial profiling”.

The 25 year-old rapper pulled out of his headline slot just hours before he was scheduled to perform on Thursday, citing an incident with his friends who had been allegedly targeted by security who were looking for someone carrying a weapon, “despite no one [in their party] fitting the description”.

stormzyracialprofilingfestival2

The Brit award-winning artist later took to his Instagram to apologise to fans, offering an explanation as to why he wouldn’t be performing in a series of strongly-worded messages.

He said:

“First and foremost f**k @snowbombingofficial Bunch of p***yholes.

“My manager and all my friends who were at the festival were racially profiled, targeted and aggressively handles because they had ‘reason to believe someone was carrying a weapon’.

“The security targeted them (despite no one fitting the description), were physically aggressive when handling them an there’s been no effort from the festival to actually deal and address the problem.”

stormzyracialprofilingsnowbombing

He continued:

“My sincerest apologies to anyone who travelled all that way to watch me perform. I’m genuinely upset that you’ve wasted your time and money and that burns me more than you’d know,” he wrote on Instagram.

“The last ever thing I wanna do is let down anyone who’s taken time out to support me. So please hear me out, I too would be fuming if I travelled and spent money to go and watch an artist and they pull out last minute.

“However, if these are the drastic steps that I need to take to make a point against racism and racial profiling, then trust me I’m taking it.”

He added: “this is the kind of soul draining s*** black people gotta deal with all the f****** time.”

A spokesperson for the festival said they were “deeply saddened” by Stormzy’s decision but their staff had acted “in accordance with protocol”.

They acknowledging that Stormzy’s team had been searched but that the rapper had decided to drop out after feeling “unhappy” about his treatment.

The spokesperson said:

“Snowbombing’s security were alerted to the possibility that an individual at the festival was allegedly carrying a weapon. In accordance with protocol, a small number of attendees, including Stormzy’s manager, were escorted to the nearest exit, searched and no weapon was found.

“Stormzy’s management were unhappy with the manner by which this took place and as a result Stormzy will no longer be performing.

“Snowbombing would like to wholeheartedly apologise to Stormzy’s team. We are doing everything we can to understand the full situation and are treating this with the utmost seriousness to ensure this does not happen again.”

It’s difficult to comment on how the situation was handled given that only Stormzy, his team and the festival security were there, but you’d imagine that it must have been pretty poorly dealt with if he’s reacted this strongly.

Let’s just hope everyone can move on from it and it doesn’t happen again.

Images via Getty/Instagram/Twitter

Comments