Vets Treating ‘Exotic Bird’ Discover It’s Actually Just A Seagull Covered In Curry

Joshua RogersJoshua Rogers in Funny, News, UK
Published 08.07.19

Vets at Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital were treating an exotic bird called Vinny only to discover it was a seagull that had been covered in tumeric or curry.

Having grown up in Blackpool, I’ve become accustomed to seeing seagulls flying about, squawking their heads off and sh*tting all over the gaff. They’re portrayed as part and parcel of a fun day out at the beach but they’re anything but fun when they wake you up at 6am and you have to stop them from rooting through your bins.

My primary school emblem also had a seagull on it and I hated school so they remind me of a bad time.

Having said that, I do feel for this next one, whom vets thought was some kind of new and exotic bird after it was brought to them after being found on the A41 motorway.

The decidedly vibrant avian patient was brought into Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital, but after inspection it was discovered that the exotic animal was actually just a seagull that had apparently had an unfortunate run in with curry or turmeric.

Writing on their Facebook page, the Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital said: “This is one of the strangest casualty circumstances we have seen in a while! When they called to say they had picked up an orange bird, we had no idea what to expect – and would never have guessed at this!

“He had somehow gotten himself covered in curry or turmeric! It was all over his feathers, preventing him from flying properly. We have no idea how he got into this predicament but thankfully, apart from the vibrant colour and pungent smell, he was healthy.

After a quick scrub which mildly annoyed the bird, he will soon be ready to be released back into the wild.

“Our veterinary team bravely bathed the gull to clean off his feathers,” they added. ‘He managed to cover them in curry water but eventually did let us scrub him clean.

“He is now looking much better and should be able to go for release very soon! As we say, we never know what will come through our doors next!

Thankfully, the curious seagull – who they named Vinny, after a Vindaloo – wasn’t harmed or injured, but just temporarily unable to fly. I imagine his pride was hurt a little bit too.

Interestingly, this isn’t the first time wildlife specialists have had to treat a curry-soaked bird. In 2016, a seagull named Gullfrazie fell into a vat of chicken tikka masala while trying to scavenge for food at a factory in the U.K. According to The Guardian, a team of veterinary staff were able to wash him off and return him to his original colours, but the curry smell lingered for a while after.

“The thing that shocked us the most was the smell,” veterinary nurse Lucy Kells said at the time. “He smelled amazing, he smelled really good.”

“He really surprised everyone here – we had never seen anything like it before. He had fallen into a waste vat of curry that was outside, it was chicken tikka masala. The thing that shocked us the most was the smell. He smelled amazing, he really smelled good.

“He cleaned up surprisingly well at the hospital, we used washing-up liquid a few times.”

As I say, I’m not the biggest bird enthusiast but here’s hoping ol’ Vinny makes a swift recovery and is back sh*tting every where and annoying people soon enough.


Images via Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital

Was a gull covered in curry?

It was thought that an exotic bird had been found but instead, yes, it was a seagull that had been covered in curry.