Another platform has now suspended Donald Trump, following the riots at the Capitol last week.

First, it was Twitter, then Facebook and Instagram. Next, Parler was taken down after Amazon withdrew their support for the website. Now YouTube is the latest to suspend Trump, at least temporarily.

Like Twitter, YouTube has cited that the suspension is due to him breaking their rules over the incitement of violence.

YouTube is owned by Google, and they have prevented President Trump’s account from uploading new videos or live-streaming material for a minimum of seven days.

YouTube has said they may extend the suspension past seven days.

Donald Trump posted several videos on Tuesday night, some of which remain online.

Google and YouTube have not confirmed what was said in the video that caused him to be banned. However,  the BBC discovered it was a clip from a press conference he gave on Tuesday.

Civil rights groups have been threatening to organise an ads boycott against YouTube.

Trump’s son, Don Jr, has been complaining about the bans and earlier appealed to Elon Musk, asking him to create a platform his father won’t be banned from.

As potential impeachment is looming, Donald Trump is running out of platforms to use. He previously found a loophole on Twitter and briefly tweeted from the @POTUS account instead, as it was his personal account that was banned. The tweets were swiftly deleted.

Jim Steyer has been calling on Google to go further and take the president’s channel offline: “We hope they will make it permanent. It is disappointing that it took a Trump-incited attack to get here, but appears that the major platforms are finally beginning to step up.”

Three Strikes

Trump’s page could still be closed if he breaches their three-strikes policy.

In a statement they said: “After review, and in light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, we removed new content uploaded to Donald J Trump’s channel for violating our policies. It now has its first strike and is temporarily prevented from uploading new content for a minimum of seven days.”

“Given the ongoing concerns about violence, we will also be indefinitely disabling comments on President Trump’s channel, as we’ve done to other channels where there are safety concerns found in the comments section.”

Facebook

Facebook Inc’s operations chief Sheryl Sandberg confirmed on Monday that there are no plans to lift their ban of Trump, as the company clamped down on a phrase that has become a rallying cry for the president’s supporters.

Sandberg said she’s glad that Facebook has frozen Trump’s accounts.  Hours after her speech, Facebook also banned the phrase “stop the steal” altogether. Facebook said the term was being used to organise events that have a propensity for violence.

Do you think it’s right Trump has been banned?

Images via Alamy