Grandad Accidentally Brings Cannabis Cake Into Hospital Leaving Nurses “Off Their Faces”

The HookThe Hook in Funny, News, World
Published 05.07.19
Stay in the loop. We've got you covered
We'll soon be launching our easy-to-digest daily roundup of everything you need to know.
Your email address will be shared with The Hook and subject to its privacy policy.

Here’s something you don’t hear everyday.

Apparently, nurses were left ‘off their faces’ when a patient’s elderly relative accidentally gave them a cake laced with cannabis as a ‘thank you’, a hospital worker has revealed.

I mean, that is incredible. Imagine the scenes in the ward – just a load of nurses giggling their arses off and smashing packets of biscuits.

On May 27th, police arrived at Warrington Hospital to discover that staff had eaten a red velvet cake that was full of the Class B drug. It had been brought to them as a thank you present for the care they had provided to the relative of an elderly man.

It is thought that the cake was made for his grandson’s 18th birthday and he had no idea about the contents.

Hospital bosses at first denied that anyone consumed the cake but after police confirmed it was eaten on the premises but were forced to admit ‘one member of staff’ tried it but ‘did not experience any effects’.

However a member of staff, who asked not to be identified, claimed that ‘three or four’ nurses ate the cake and were left ‘off their faces’ and ‘relaxed’ by it.

The staff member said: “They were eating the cake and then the next minute the staff were all off their faces.

It was brought in by a nice old man as a thank you, but it was full of funny stuff and had them all relaxed.

“There was no impact on the patients whatsoever, but they all knew something was wrong, so the police were called in.”

Cheshire Police tested the cake and confirmed it contained cannabis. It’s believed the Class B drug was added to be enjoyed at a teenager’s birthday party, but his grandad unwittingly took it to the hospital when he saw there was some left.

The police investigation found he had no idea what was in his grandson’s cake and that he was shocked to discover the disruption it caused on the ward.

A police source said: “It was genuinely an error by all parties, even the person who put something in that he shouldn’t have because he didn’t know it was going to the hospital.

“Nobody knew that, and that’s why we’re not taking it any further.”

Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust first said that staff only smelled the cake, but then admitted that some was eaten and that they’d conducted a 72-hour investigation into the incident.

Their chief nurse, Kimberley Salmon-Jamieson, said: “A homemade cake was brought in to one of our wards in error by a patient’s family.

The item was collected by Cheshire Police to be tested. An internal investigation has been undertaken and we can confirm that one member of staff tried the cake, but they did not experience any effects and there was no impact on our patients.”

A statement from Cheshire Police said: “Officers received a report on Monday 27 May that a cake which was suspected to contain drugs had been brought in by a member of the public and given to staff at Warrington Hospital.

“After an investigation, officers determined that the member of the public who had brought in the cake was unaware of the content of the cake as it had been left over from their grandson’s birthday party.

“Officers have now spoken to all parties involved and given some strong words of advice. The case has now been closed and the cake destroyed.”

This might be my favoruite story of the day. Nay, the week.

Images via Getty

Comments
Related Posts